Saturday, September 11, 2010

This Day of Reflection




Nine years ago today, life as we knew it, changed and as horrible and heinous as that day was, it was the only day that I personally can remember in my 57 years, that we as a nation stood shoulder to shoulder in our dismay and grief. We stood as one, undivided. We stood together in our thoughts, prayers and fears.

Suddenly it did not matter if your religion was different from mine, if you were a Republican or a Democrat, gay or straight, wealthy or poor, the color of your skin or the origin of your family heritage. It did not matter. I found myself standing with my fellow Americans.


I saw the world saddened with the same fear we were experiencing. Everyone was united in trying to wrap their minds around that horrible act, that day, that horrible day. That one day that I stood shoulder to shoulder with my fellow Americans.


Please tell me that all those people that died that day, did not die in vain. Tell me, that we as Americans, over the course of nine years, have not become so divided in our thoughts and fears that we are going to destroy ourselves by the splits and divisions of our politics, religion and ethnic intolerance.


All those people did not die for this!


Respectfully,

Ziggy Pickles Mother

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well said.

Stacie Sue said...

Beautiful, Kathy. Thank you for taking the time to reflect. I don't believe anyone died in vain, just horror. It's a shame that God is used in such a heinous way.